Rihanna - LOUD!

Rihanna's fifth album "LOUD!" will be released tomorrow and I must say that I'm glad my most anticipated album of the Fall season did not disappoint. After the commercially flawless "Good Girl Gone Bad" and the critically acclaimed "Rated R" I hope that Rihanna would return to her commercial roots and create an album of POP perfection. And she did.

The album opens with the Stargate produced "S&M," which is rumored to be the third single. A hot, and sexy dance track, Rihanna claims that "sticks and stones may break my bones, but chains and whips excite me" and that gets be hot and bothered off jump. "S&M" is followed by another Stargate produced, the Drake assisted "What's My Name" is in the vein of Rihanna's previous smash "Rude Boy" and Drake's "square of 69 is eight something" is golden.

The Avril Lavigne sampled "Cheers (Drink To That)" is another winner and definite single material. It's just a feel good song about not letting others get you down. "Life's too short to be sitting around miserable" and I definitely feel Ms. Fenty on that one. "Fading" is an amazing ballad which finds Rihanna falling out of love with her significant other because "things just ain't the same and I'm (she's) ready for change." More over, "And I opened up my eyes and I finally realized" is the standout line on the album for me.

First single "Only Girl (In The World)" definitely had to grow on me; however, like most of Rihanna's Stargate collaborations, I now love it. It's just she's really "Loud" on the chorus, but after hearing the full album I understand that was the point. This album is "Loud" and full of energy, even the ballads.

Speaking of ballads, I thought "Fading" would be my favorite track upon hearing it but The Runner's produced "California King Bed" is miles away an overall stronger track and is arguably the best song that Rihanna has ever produced. She sings that her and her California king are "10,000 miles apart," even in the California king bed. Epic is the only world that can possible describe this song. It MUST be a single.

"Man Down" is a reggae-inspired song that I am happy Rihanna recorded. Although, not necessarily single material, the song is a winner and brings Rihanna back to her Barbadian roots. The "rum pa pa pum, rum pa pa pum" hook is super catchy. This part of the album is arguably more Urban-tinged, especially with the Nicki Minaj assisted "Raining Men" which sounds like a mix of Beyonce's "Diva" and Mario's "Break Up"." As Rihanna says "it's a 2 times 5, for real."

Slowling it back down, "Complicated" is another ballad; however, it's chorus is "Loud" and in-your-face. Here, Rihanna battles both the good and bad that can be found in any and ever relationship. You'll have to listen to this one see it the complicated relationship is enough to push her away.

The album ends the overly sexually "Skin" and the Part II to Rihanna and Eminem's smash single "Love The Way You Lie." Even first listen, I find that this will be another hit album for Rihanna. The album is full of single-worthy material and also includes reflective songs to show that, artistically, Rihanna knows how to put together a well crafted album.

CWH's Picks: California King Bed ~ What's Your Name ~ Fading

No comments: