Carrie Underwood - Play On

At first, I was not pleased with Carrie Underwood's third album. I didn't feel as strong a connection with the tunes as I did on her previous LPs. What I later realized after repeated listens is that Ms. Underwood was in love (and is now married) when she recorded this album. That time of situation obviously brings a different feel to an artists music.

My instant favorite on the album was "Unapologize." Yeah, I know that it's not a word; however, Carrie turned into one with the pop/country song declaring she wants to take back her apology because "She meant every word, won't take back the way she (I) feel about you." This all occurs after she slips and tells her lover that she loves him. There's no need to apologize for such honesty, in my book.

However, the more traditional country ballads find Carrie in a place I've never heard her take her voice to before "Look At Me" is a stunning song where she sings "I've fallen like a fool for you, darling can't you see, I'd do anything you want me to, I tell myself, I'm too deep, then I fall a little farther every time you look at me." Album highlight, "Someday When I Stop Loving You" is arguably the best song Ms. Underwood (or is it Mrs. Fisher now?) has ever recorded. The raw emotional that comes after being left by a significant other is so pronounce, one cannot help but place themselves exactly where the country starlet is signing.

Mid-tempos "Quitter" and "This Time" are amazing and further exemplify the fact that Carrie is in love. While similarly themed "Mama's Song" finds Carrie talking to her own mother and telling her that she has found a good man. However, no Carrie Underwood album would be complete without a rousing man-basher found in third single "Undo It" and fan favorite "Songs Like This" (which are written for dirt dogs like you!)

Like all of her albums, "Play On" is filled with a ride range of tempos; however, it is chop filled with love songs that relay the amazing feelings that Carrie Underwood must be feeling right now. I can dig it.

No comments: