Keyshia Cole - Love, I Thought You Had My Back

One of my favorite new artists to emerge in the 2000's was Keyshia Cole. SHe brought a refreshing and energy that modern R&B music had been missing for a long time. Although her first two singles weren't major hits, her label supported the singer and hellped both her third and fourth singles go Top 10 on the R&B charts.

Although a little too hood (with all the rent-a-rappers) for my tastes, the album did produce a number of soulful jams. Notable, "Love, I Thought You Had My Back" remains my favorite Keyshia track to date. The songs sings that she didn't think that love would hurt her again, after all that she'd been through. However, yet again, she's been knocked down by the pain that often comes with "loving" someone else.

Luckily, Keyshia doesn't stay down and rises to admit that relationships may come and go, but she is sure that there is someone out that will truly love her one day. She subsequently set herself up for a strong career singer black women scorned power ballads.

No comments: