Mariah Carey - We Belong Together

It wouldn't be right if I didn't review my favorite artist of all-time. In 2005, Mariah Carey returned with "The Emancipation of Mimi," the #1 selling album of the year and scorend three Top 2 hits. One of those was the monster #1, and eventual, #1 song of the decade "We Belong Together."

Co-writing and co-producing the song with long-time friend Jermaine Dupri, Mariah crafted a simple ballad in the vein of many of their earlier collaborations such as 1995's "Always Be My Baby." Like the aforementioned song (also a #1 hit), "We Belong Together" finds Mariah crooning that no matter what, she knows that her and her lover belong together forever.

Unlike many Mariah songs, Ms. Carey remains vocally in control throughout the majority of the song. That is, until the last chorus where belts "when you left I lost a part of me, it's still so hard to believe, come back baby please, cause we belong together, whom I going to lean on when times get rough, whose gone talk to me til the sun comes up, who's gon' take your places, there's nobody better, we belong together!" Classic.

No comments: