Ciara - Basic Instinct

I hate to say it, but "Basic Instinct," the fourth studio album from Ciara, has truly grown on me. The record is actually quite solid. Thus, I hope that her label finds the time (money and energy) to properly promote it now that it's already been released.

Let's start with the low points. Although the title track is strong in that it finds Ciara venting about past misconceptions, it's definitely not something I find worth listening to on repeat. However, the album steadily improves after that. First single, "Ride" is a sexual charged jam. Most importantly, Ciara sounds confident and in control.

Similarly themed (and likewise produced by The-Dream/Tricky Stewart) "You Can Get It" is my personal favorite cut on the album. Ciara coos "you can get it, not him, not him, not him (but,) YOU can get it." If that doesn't inspire lust than I don't know what does. Taking it back to her Crunk N 'B roots, "Heavy Rotation" and "Yeah I Know," if released, are sure to set the club dance floor on fire and are the most commercial-sounding songs on the album.

Although "second" single "Gimme That" is a hot, the revamped remix is spectacular. With a new, more sensual beat and sultry vocals from Ciara, the track produced by Soundz deserves to be re-sent to radio later on. "Turn It Up" produced by T-Minus and featuring Usher is decent, although it doesn't necessarily fit the tone of the rest of the album, being a euro-pop, dance track.

As previously noted, the album does have a couple stinkers. "Girls Get Your Money" isn't nearly as infectious as the previously mentioned up-tempos. In fact, it's quite mediocre and is the only true album track that I don't recommend.

Slowing things down a bit, "Speechless" and "I Run It," both also produced by the aforementioned The-Dream/Tricky Stewart are strong mid-tempos in the vein of Ciara's previous hit "Promise." Personally, I generally prefer Ciara's up beat songs; however, all of the slow jams on "Basic Instinct" make for an enjoyable listen.

CWH's Picks: You Can Get It, Yeah I Know, & Heavy Rotation

No comments: